Redfest is a free community music and arts festival based in the Redfield and St. George areas of East Bristol.
Our vision is to enrich the local community of BS5 through the arts.
Our mission is to provide a free, accessible, high quality performing and visual arts event for the community of East Bristol. Nurturing and developing the creativity and talent of performers, artists and organisers.
Our core values are:
- increasing community engagement and cohesion
- providing the highest quality artistic content
- sustainable in a social, financial, organisational and environmental sense
- supporting and using local artists and organisers wherever possible
- providing a safe environment for all
- offering opportunities for skills growth, development & improvement.
Our aims are to:
- increase the profile of the arts in Redfield, and wider Bristol area
- create community cohesion and increase pride in our area through the arts
- provide a platform for local artists to showcase their talents
- encourage the local community to see and take part in something new
- engage local residents and businesses in producing artistic events, by way of volunteering, performing or sponsorship
- increase the variety and frequency of artistic performances and events in local venues
- create a more active community by encouraging people who do not usually volunteer to get involved in something that benefits their local community.
The festival is an annual event comprising performances, exhibitions and installations. The highlight is a full-day festival in St George Park that attracts an estimated 10,000 people, and we also hold fringe events during the rest of the year to maintain Redfest Bristol’s profile in the community, raise funds, and showcase a variety of artistic talents. Many events are hosted by local venues such as pubs, cafes, the community centre and church hall. Our events in previous festivals have included:
- an eclectic range of acts including folk, rock, dance, jazz, reggae and world music
- film screenings for young and old audiences, including films from local film makers
- photography exhibitions
- street art demonstrations including the transformations of local businesses
- children’s entertainment, workshops and storytelling.
Redfest Bristol creates a space for arts to flourish, and nurtures the cultural identity of the area. It attracts artists and performers from many different disciplines and provides opportunities for them to hone and demonstrate their skills – for many, the festival is a platform for trying out new or higher risk ideas, or work that is in development. Redfest Bristol engages and energises our area by highlighting the arts activities and capabilities within our community, and encourages local businesses to be involved and benefit from arts activity more widely. Redfest Bristol is entirely organised and run by volunteers. We are a not for profit organisation with a constitution and management committee.
Redfest Bristol was founded in 2008 by a small group of volunteers looking to provide a showcase for local artistic talent whilst bringing an increased sense of community to the area.
Prior to 2011 the festival was a small-scale event lasting a week, and this generated excellent attendance in a number of venues.
In 2011, following feedback from local residents, the week-long festival was successfully expanded to include a day-long event in St. George Park. This event included a stage hosting a range of musical performances from local performers, dance demonstrations from local dance groups, a street art demonstration, a number of children’s activities including a costume making workshop, and a market for local traders to sell their goods and produce. Additionally, a number of local businesses were permanently transformed by having the building exteriors painted by local street artists.
Redfest became a Community Interest Company on 26 April 2017.
Company Number: 10741957